The landing page is the place where a customer ends up when clicking on a retailer’s pay-per-click ad. It is here where the customer will decide to engage further or to leave the site.
The landing page is so important that Google’s AdWords ranks each advertisers’ landing page. The ranking affects your Ad Rank and therefore your cost-per-click and position in the ad auction.
Starting your landing page
Your customers should have a great experience when arriving at you landing page. Google advise the following:
- Offer relevant, useful and original content.
- Make sure your landing-page is directly relevant to your ad text and keyword.
- Provide useful information on your landing page about whatever you’re advertising.
- Try to offer useful features or content that are unique to your site.
- Promote transparency and foster trustworthiness on your site.
- Openly share information about your business and clearly state what your business does.
- Explain your products or services before asking visitors to fill out forms.
- Make it easy for visitors to find your contact information.
- If you request personal information from customers, make it clear why you’re asking for it and what you’ll do with it.
- Distinguish sponsored links, like ads, from the rest of your website’s content.
- Make mobile and computer navigation easy
- Organize and design your page well, so people don’t have to hunt around for information.
- Make it quick and easy for people to order the product mentioned in your ad.
- Don’t annoy customers with pop-ups or other features that interfere with their navigation of your site.
- Help customers quickly find what they’re looking for by prioritizing the content that’s visible above-the-fold.
- Be fast—decrease your landing page loading time
- Make sure your landing-page loads quickly once someone clicks on your ad, whether on a computer or mobile device.
- Learn how you or your webmaster can use PageSpeed Insights to measure the performance of your landing page.
- Make your site (even more) mobile-friendly
- See how your site scores on mobile-friendliness and speed, and find out how to improve it.
Getting your landing page wrong can cost you lots of money. Visit eBizplan for help with your digital marketing strategy.